- 4 T olive oil
- 1 t caraway seeds
- 1 T dried dill
- 4 t smoked paprika
- 2 large onions, diced
- 10 cloves garlic, pressed
- ½ c carrots , diced ( 1 small )
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1.5 t salt
- Pinch pepper
- 3 T apple cider vinegar
- 3 medium beets, peeled and diced. Wash and chop beet greens ; set aside.
- 4 c cabbage, shredded
- Reserved beet greens
- 2 c waxy potatoes, diced ( around 2 medium )
- 15 oz can canellini beans, drained or 1.5 cups cooked beans
- 6 c good quality vegetable broth ( lo w sodium )
- 2 T soy sauce
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T fresh dill
- In a heavy bottomed 8 qt pot over medium heat, warm spices in the oil for 20 seconds. Ad onion, garlic, carrots and tomato paste along with salt and pepper.
- Sauté for 10 minutes stirring well or until the vegetables are fragrant.
- De-glaze with apple cider vinegar
- Add beets, cabbage, beet greens, potatoes , beans and broth. Turn heat to medium-hi and cover.
- Cook for 35 minutes. While soup is cooking, caramelize shallots
- When soup is finished, stir in apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and fresh dill
This soup is delicious topped with Vegan Caramelized Shallot Sour Cream.