I have made A LOT of Raw(ish) Kale/Collard Salads in my days! Having worked in two restaurants that were inside of health food stores, I had access to a lot of produce all of the time, so depending on my mood and ingredients on hand, I have sort of a template, which I would like to share with you. Most of my recipes are really just templates I color with this spice or that grain, etc.
Basic Raw* Slaw
- 4 cups sturdy leafy greens (kale, mustard, chard, collards, spinach, escarole)
- 2 cups red or green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or citrus juice
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive, sesame, flax, coconut)
Massage together for 5 minutes or until the veggies start to break down
You are essentially ‘cooking’ the greens here and not paying attention to flavor. The carrots/onions add a nice dimension to the greens as they break down, creating a vegetable broth.
The greens are super juicy now and I take advantage of that juice and don’t drain it. If you want a cleaner flavor, just strain for 5 minutes before proceeding. I like to add some of these ingredients that soak up the juice and create a delicious dressing without a lot of extra oil (add around 1/4 cup each or 1 cup all together)
- toasted sesame seeds
- sunflower seeds
- toasted dried coconut
- nutritional yeast
- sun dried tomatoes
- dried mushrooms
- dried cranberries
- toasted walnuts
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- crystalized ginger
- chopped apples or pears (Dried would be great too)
NO matter what I’m doing, I always add a small pinch of nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds.
You can add 1/2 teaspoon of these:
- Basil, marjoram and rosemary for an Italian Salad (great with sun dried tomatoes, walnuts and nutritional yeast)
- Lemon Pepper, Coriander and Curry for Indian Slaw (great with coconut, and raisinis)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (with pumpkin seeds and crystalized ginger, apples and raisins)
Other ad ins:
- 2 cups seasonal fruit
- avocado (this creates an amazing creamy yummy dressing!)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Herbs (basil, cilantro, mint, parsley or whatever you have on hand)
- Various Raw Veggies (Broccoli, peppers, celery, sprouts, lentil sprouts, anything you have that needs to be used)
Finally, taste and add to taste:
- Soy sauce/tamari/braggs or
- Seasoning Salts
- Acid (vinegars, citrus juices, tamarind umeboshi)
- Your favorite spices
- More nutritional yeast
- Your favorite oils (I add more oils last… and usually the best quality oils I have..)
- Hummus or your favorite bean based spreads
You basically want to get a nice balance of savory, acidic, sweet, crunchy..
*rawish because not all the ad ins are raw
- Make sure your hands are VERY clean before making this salad
- This will keep (as long as you NEVER double dip or use the same tasting spoon) for up to 4 days in the fridge.
I hope you play around with what you have on hand. That is how the BEST creations are made.
Do you have a favorite Raw Kale Salad?