The picture does not do these amazing tacos justice! The other day, I received my Cooks Country magazine and their cover photo was of citrus braised pork tacos with pickled red onions and habanero sauce. I decided I would follow the recipe exactly and make a batch for The Boyfriend. Now, if you know me, you know I never follow recipes, but I was determined to this time, and in doing so, I was inspired to create my own version of tofu tacos for myself. I actually wrote down the recipe as I was cooking and will share it with you.
I used extra firm tofu and small TVP granules to give it more texture. This was a super simple dish that came together in 30 minutes. I made homemade corn tortillas and both The Boyfriend and I enjoyed our dinner immensely. Their recipe for pickled onions used WAY too much sugar. I ended up rinsing the brine off and adding plain vinegar, allspice berries and caraway seed to the pickle. Much better! I also doctored up the habanero sauce because I found it boring and not spicy. (this was after I served The Boyfriend his tacos exactly as the recipe called for.)
Tofu-TVP Taco Filling (adapted from Cooks Country)
- 15 oz. extra firm tofu, frozen, thawed and drained well
- 1 cup TVP granules
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced in half moons
- 8 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo (more or less depending on how spicy you like it. If you do not like heat, you can add 2 tsp. of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. allspice
- ½ tsp. toasted cumin seed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. toasted ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch dried cloves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (Annie’s is vegan)
- 1 tbsp. fresh marjoram
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- *Optional: 1 habanero pepper minced
- Heat oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet; add the onions and garlic and cook for several minutes.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients, stir to coat well, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring several times.
- Taste and adjust seasoning
See how simple this is? I’m so glad I have a bunch of leftovers!