This is one of my most popular recipes. It was featured years ago on Kris Carr’s Crazy Sexy Life blog.
Way back in 2008, I was working as a Vegan and Raw Food Chef in a restaurant in NH. I was creating amazing dishes, but most of them relied so much on nuts and seeds. I was doing a 30 day Raw Challenge at the time, and created this recipe at home. It was so good that I served it at the restaurant and people loved it!
I despise eggs, and have only tasted egg salad once or twice in my life. This recipe is my raw stand in for tofu salad!
- 3 cups cauliflower, pulsed in food processor
- 1/2 cups sunflower seeds soaked for 4 hours, drained then pulsed in food processor
- 1 cups diced celery
- 1 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cups scallions or 2 T diced red onion or shallot
- 1/2 cups nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 4 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons relish
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon black salt (or sea salt)
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cups water
- Pulse the cauliflower in processor and set aside in large mixing bowl.
- Pulse the sunflower seeds and add to the cauliflower. Add the celery, carrots, scallions nutritional yeast and spices (not the salt or pepper).
- In a small bowl, add the tahini, mustard, relish, chia seeds, salt and pepper along with 1/2 cup of water.
- Whisk well and pour over the veggies. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Allow mixture to chill for an hour before serving. This actually keeps for around 3 days and does not get watery because of the chia seeds.
It’s great as is, on toast, or however you would enjoy egg or tofu salad!